FAQs - 232ANALYZER QUESTIONS
The 232Analyzer is an advanced professional serial port analyzer that allows you to control and monitor serial port activities (RS232/RS485/RS422/TTL). It is also an useful tool for troubleshooting your serial converters or data networks.
Anyone who is dealing with serial communications, including:
- System integrators
- Software developers
- Hardware engineers
- Lab experts
- IT specialists
This product can be used for:
- Troubleshooting serial converters or data networks (e.g. loopback test)
- Serial hardware development
- Serial device driver development
- Serial protocol development, implementation, or reverse-engineering
- Software testing
- Hardware testing
- COM port testing
- External serial device control and monitoring
This product can be used in all sorts of serial communication applications, including:
- Building automation
- Industrial/commercial control and automation systems
- A/V control
- Security systems
- Communication systems
- Other systems or devices that use serial communications (RS-232/RS485/RS422/TTL)
Yes, 232Analyzer is extremely easy to use. Anyone who knows how to use HyperTerminal can operate the software within seconds, without any programming knowledge.
232Analyzer comes with two basic features: control (debug) and monitor serial devices. The product supports data input and monitoring in Hexadecimal, Decimal, Octal, Binary and ASCII formats. It also allows you to change / monitor RS-232's line state: RTS, DTR, CTS, DSR, DCD, and RI. All data and signal flows are logged in the Communication Logging Window, which can then be saved as .txt, .doc or .rtf files for further analysis.
232Analyzer not only allows you to control/monitor RS-232's activities, but with the right type of converters (e.g. our port-powered RS232 to RS485/RS422/TTL converters), you can also control/monitor other serial devices, such as RS485, RS422 and TTL.
232Analyzer is a professional protocol analyzer software, it is extremely easy to use yet comes with many advanced features, such as:
- Two operating modes: Debugging/simulating and monitoring (supports both half-duplex and full-duplex monitoring)
- Timestamps for the data captured in monitoring mode
- Send/receive data in all formats: Hexadecimal, Decimal, Octal, Binary, and ASCII string
- Send/receive handshake signals: RTS, DTR, CTS, DSR, DCD and RI
- COM 1 to 16
- Frequently Used Keys: 00h to 1Fh (a total of 32 numbers)
- Programmable Buttons: Send command strings, signals or data sequence with one single button (a total of 32 numbers)
- Programmable Auto-Response: Upon receiving certain data or signals, you can program automatic output data and/or signals (a total of 16 numbers)
- Programmable Macros: Send sets of data/signals and response to different types of incoming data/signals with timer and sequence (a total of 8 x 8 steps, and 8 x 8 sub-routines)
- Virtual LEDs: View the RS-232 line state and control RTS and DTR, break communication if necessary
- Data logging: All communications are logged and can be saved into .txt files for future analysis
- Checksum Calculator: AND, OR, XOR, NOT, Reverse Bit Order, +, -, x, \, MOD, CRC-16 (for Modbus), etc.
- Notation Converter: Convert data from one notation to another
- ASCII chart: All 256 ASCII codes in different formats
- Device Profile: Settings for different devices can be saved individually
- Flexible screen adjustment
- User preferences settings: Color settings, Startup Actions, Exit Actions, etc.
- Customizable colors for Background, TX, RX1 and RX2 (2nd COM port channel when using full-duplex monitoring)
|Software Features||FREE Version||Registered Version|
|Timestamps (Monitoring Mode)||No||Yes|
|Available Data Formats|| Dec, Oct, Bin and
|Hex, Dec, Oct, Bin and ASCII|
|New/Save Device Profile||No||Yes|
|Open Device Profile||Yes||Yes|
|Open/Save Log File||No||Yes|
232Analyzer comes with more features than most of the hardware analyzers on the market. It is extremely easy to use and does not require any programming knowledge. Software activation can be done within minutes, so there is no product waiting time. Moreover, the software price is only a fraction of the hardware analyzer's. However, please note that the timestamp accuracy for hardware analyzers are generally better than software analyzers'.
232Analyzer is an advanced protocol analyzer software, it is extremely easy to use, yet comes with many advanced features that are not available in HyperTerminal or other analyzer tools. See software features...
There are four license types:
- Limited License: FREE, no time limitation.
- Single-Computer-License: To be installed on a single computer.
- Company-Multi-License: To be installed on up to five computers within the same organization at the same physical location.
- Company-Site-License: To be installed on any number of computers within the same organization at the same physical location.
232Analyzer supports Windows 8, 7, Vista, XP, 2000 and 98. The product is fully compatible with both 32-bit and 64-bit OS.
Yes, this product allows you to change/monitor the RS232's line state: RTS, DTR, CTS, DSR, DCD, and RI.
Yes, by using two units of RS232/RS485 converters (e.g. CVT-485-1 or CVT-485_422-1) and a Full-Duplex monitor cable (CBL-Full-1A), the 232Analyzer software can capture not only the data flowing between the RS485 devices but also the data direction. Connect 485+ and 485- of the serial devices to A and B of the converter respectively. Switch to full-duplex monitoring mode in the 232Analyzer software. Learn more...
Yes, by using two units of RS232/RS422 converters (e.g. CVT-485_422-1), the software can capture not only the data flowing between the RS422 devices but also the data direction. Connect TX+ and TX- of the serial devices to RX+ and RX- of the converters for both sides of the connections. Switch to Full-Duplex monitoring mode in the 232Analyzer software. Learn more...
Yes, by using a Full-Duplex Monitor cable (CBL-Full-1A) and two units of RS232/TTL converters (e.g. TTL-232-1 or TTL33-232-1), the software can capture not only the data flowing between the TTL devices but also the data direction. Learn more...
Please refer to the table below for the recommended hardware accessories:
|Direction Indication||RS-232||RS-485||RS-422||TTL 5V||TTL 3.3V|
This is not necessary, simply download the free version from our website and install it on your target computer. The software code (for company licenses) or software activation instructions (for a single license) will be delivered by email.
232Analyzer software is a Windows-based program, and the actual timestamp accuracy depends very much on your PC's hardware and software characteristics, such as operating system, overall PC performance and the serial hardware used. To achieve the best accuracy, we recommend the following:
1)Disable other programs or resource-consuming tasks, such as anti-virus software or other windows programs, if possible.
2)If you are using the USB-RS232 converters, you may reduce the "latency timer" to the minimum of 1ms. Please see our FAQs here.
For best timestamp accuracy, we would recommend the on-board COM ports, a PCI or a PCMCIA serial port card. USB-Serial converters are also usable, however, please note that the USB devices introduce unspecified delays and latency times. Please adjust the latency timer to 1ms for best timestamp accuracy.
If you encounter the problem of "Error 380", please uninstall the program, delete the "CommFront" folder in "C:\Program files", and then reinstall the application. After reinstall the program, double click on the 232analyzer.exe file under "C:\Program files\CommFront\232Analyzer" to run the program.