25-PIN INDUSTRIAL RS232 TO RS485 RS422 CONVERTER
25-PIN INDUSTRIAL PORT-POWERED RS232 RS485 RS422 CONVERTER
Qty: 10+ $41.36
Qty: 50+ $39.06
Other Qty: Ask
The CVT-485_422-1(25) is a 25-pin version, industrial-grade, port-powered RS232 to RS485 / RS232 to RS422 converter, which can be used to convert any standard 25-pin RS232C port into a two-wire half-duplex balanced RS485 port, or a four-wire full-duplex balanced RS485 / RS422 port and vice versa. This industrial RS232 to RS485 / RS232 to RS422 converter supports multi-drop RS485/RS422 networks and can be used to communicate with one loop of up to 128 units of RS485 / RS422 devices. It operates within a temperature range of -40ºF to 185ºF (-40ºC to 85ºC), and features 600W surge protection and 15kV static protection. The unit is efficiently powered from the RS232 data line, and it supports data direction auto-turnaround, which automatically enables the RS485 transceiver when data is present on the RS232 side. Therefore, it requires no external power, software drivers or flow control. The ALL-IN-ONE rugged terminal block, which was professionally designed for different requirements such as selectable 120-Ohm terminator, makes the unit an ideal solution for all types of installations.
CommFront's product quality is ensured by our strict ISO 9001:2008 quality control system, and we back our high-quality RS232 to RS485 / RS422 converter products with a 30-day risk-free money-back guarantee and a 5-year replacement warranty.
- Converts 25-pin RS232 to 2-wire RS485 or 4-wire RS422 and vice versa.
- Port-powered, no external power or RTS, DTR required.
- Industrial grade enclosed in a rugged, rustless ABS housing.
- Supports multi-drop RS485/RS422 networks (up to 128 nodes).
- 300 to 115.2K Baud operation (auto-sensing & self-adjusting).
- Plug and play (hot-pluggable, data format auto-sensing & self-adjusting).
- Data direction auto-turnaround, no software drivers or flow control is required.
- Operating temperature: -40ºF to 185ºF (-40ºC to 85ºC).
- Built-in surge protection (600W), static protection (15kV), and circuit protection.
- Built-in selectable 120Ω terminator for system reliability and easy installation.
- Accepts external 5VDC regulated power if the port-power is insufficient.
- ALL-IN-ONE rugged terminal block designed for different requirements.
- Surface Mount Technology manufactured to RoHS and ISO-9001 standards.
- Safety: Strictly certified by TUV (Cert No. SG-CE-090012).
- 5-year manufacturer's warranty.
|Compatibility:||EIA/TIA RS-232C standard and RS-485/RS-422 standard|
|Power Source:||Port power from RS232 data line|
|Current Consumption:||Less than 10mA|
|Baud Rates:||300 to 115,200bps (Auto-sensing & Self-adjusting)|
|Distances:||Depending on power from RS232 port, will transmit up to 4000ft (1.2km) at 19,200bps|
|Connectors:||RS232 Side: DB-25 Female; RS485/RS422 Side: DB-9 Male; Termination Board: DB-9 Female and a 6-Way Terminal Block|
|Maximum number of drops:||128|
|End of Line Terminator:||120Ω (built-in, selectable)|
|Static protection (ESD):||Up to 15KV||Dimensions (H x W x D):||0.63 x 2.1 x 3.5 in (16 x 54 x 90 mm) (with termination board)|
|Weight:||1.6 oz (46 g) (with termination board)|
|Operating Temperature:||-40ºF to 185ºF (-40ºC to 85ºC)|
|Operating Humidity:||Up to 90% RH (no condensation)|
CONVERTER CONNECTOR / TERMINAL BLOCK PIN OUTS
RS232 Side (DB-25 Female Connector):
|DB-25 Pin||6 (DTR)||8 (DCD)||20 (DSR)||4 (CTS)||5 (RTS)||2||3||7|
|Internal Wiring||Internal Wiring||Tied||RX||TX||GND|
Note: Some software requires handshake line acknowledgements. To satisfy the requirements, our converter's handshake lines are tied together (DCD, DTR, and DSR tied together, and RTS and CTS tied together). Therefore, you don't have to modify your existing software.
DB-25 Female (view from front)
RS485 / RS422 Side (DB-9 Male Connector / Termination Board):
|Jumper||J2 (default: ON)||J2 (default: ON)||J1 (default: ON)||J4 (default: ON)|
|RS485||A+ (J2 ON)||B- (J3 ON)||GND||(J1 ON)||Terminate/remove Jumper J4 to turn ON/OFF the 120Ω end-of-line terminator.|
|RS485||(J2 OFF)||J3 OFF)||GND||(J1 OFF)|
Note: The CVT-485_422-1(25) comes with a 6-way terminal block for easy wire connections. However, you may choose not to use the terminal block provided and simply follow the above table for pin assignments.
|DB-9 Male (view from front) / Terminal Block|
CONNECTIONS (RS485 BUS, RS422 BUS, RS232 EXTENSION)
Figure 1: Master-Slave Multi-Drop Connections (RS485)
Figure 2: Master-Slave Multi-Drop Connections (RS422)
Figure 3: Extending Full-Duplex RS232 Distance (Data Only)
1) Port power measurement
Measure pin +5V and GND with a voltmeter, and be sure that it is around +5VDC (when RS232 port is connected).
2) Loopback Test
- Connect a CVT-485_422-1(25) to your PC's COM port and remove Jumper 1 and terminate Jumper 2 and 3 on the RS485/422 terminal block (as shown above).
- Run 232Analyzer FREE version software on your computer.
- Select "ASCII" for both the Send and Receive data formats. Then send command and/or string such as "CommFront" from the 232Analyzer software. You should receive an echo of the command/string sent ("CommFront"). By performing a simple loopback test like this, you can test both the transmitter and receiver of the converter. This is very helpful when you are in doubt about the performance of your converter.
Screenshot: Send/receive commands from 232Analyzer software.
232Analyzer is an advanced RS232 Serial Protocol Analyzer software that allows you to control, monitor and analyze serial port (RS232 / RS485 / RS422 / TTL, etc.) activities. Not just the data, it also allows you to monitor or change RS-232's line states: RTS, CTS, DTR, DSR, DCD, and RI.
The FREE version (no time limitation) can be downloaded from here.