RS232 TO RS422 CONVERTER / RS232 TO RS422 ADAPTER
INDUSTRIAL PORT-POWERED RS232 / RS485 / RS422 CONVERTER
Qty: 10+ $41.36
Qty: 50+ $39.06
Other Qty: Ask
The CVT-485_422-1 is a dual-function, compact, rugged, industrial-grade, port-powered RS232 to RS485 / RS232 to RS422 converter that can be used to convert any standard RS-232C port into a two-wire half-duplex RS485 port, or a four-wire full-duplex RS485 / RS422 port and vice versa. This industrial RS232 to RS422 converter supports multi-drop RS485/RS422 networks and can be used to communicate with one loop of up to 128 units of RS485 / RS422 devices. It operates within a temperature range of -40ºF to 185ºF (-40ºC to 85ºC), and features 600W surge protection and 15kV static protection. The unit is efficiently powered from the RS232 data line and it supports data direction auto-turnaround, which automatically enables the RS485 transceiver when data is present on the RS232 side. Therefore, it requires no external power, software drivers or flow control. The ALL-IN-ONE rugged terminal block, which was professionally designed for different requirements, comes with an optional 5V DC input and a selectable 120-Ohm terminator, thus making it an ideal solution for all types of installations.
CommFront's product quality is ensured by our strict ISO 9001:2008 quality control system, and we back our high-quality RS232 to RS422 converter products with a 30-day risk-free money-back guarantee and a 5-year replacement warranty.
FEATURES (INDUSTRIAL RS232 RS485 RS422 CONVERTER)
- Port-powered, no external power or RTS, DTR required.
- Industrial grade enclosed in a rugged, rustless ABS housing.
- Converts RS232 to 2-wire RS485, 4-wire RS485 or 4-wire RS422 and vice versa.
- Supports multi-drop RS485/RS422 networks (up to 128 nodes).
- 300 to 115.2K Baud operation (auto-sensing & self-adjusting).
- Operating temperature: -40ºF to 185ºF (-40ºC to 85ºC).
- Plug and play (hot-pluggable, data format auto-sensing & self-adjusting).
- Data direction auto-turnaround, no flow control or software driver is required.
- Built-in selectable 120Ω terminator for system reliability and easy installation.
- Built-in 600W surge protection, 15kV static protection and circuit protection.
- Accepts external 5VDC regulated power if the port-power is insufficient.
- ALL-IN-ONE rugged terminal block designed for different requirements.
- Surface Mount Technology manufactured to RoHS and ISO-9001 standards.
- Safety: Strictly certified by TUV (Cert No. SG-CE-090012).
- 5-year manufacturer's warranty.
SPECIFICATIONS (INDUSTRIAL RS232 TO RS422 RS485 CONVERTER)
|Compatibility:||EIA/TIA RS-232C standard and RS-485/RS-422 standard|
|Power Source:||Port power from RS232 data line|
|Current Consumption:||Less than 10mA|
|Baud Rates:||300 to 115,200bps (Auto-sensing & Self-adjusting)|
|Distances:||Depending on power from RS232 port, will transmit up to 4000ft (1.2km) at 19,200bps|
|Connectors:||RS232 Side: DB-9 Female; RS485/RS422 Side: DB-9 Male; Termination Board: DB-9 Female and a 6-Way Terminal Block|
|Maximum number of drops:||128|
|End of Line Terminator:||120Ω (built-in, selectable)|
|Static protection (ESD):||Up to 15KV||Dimensions (H x W x D):||0.63 x 1.3 x 3.5 in (16 x 32 x 90 mm)|
|Weight:||1.34 oz (38 g)|
|Operating Temperature:||-40ºF to 185ºF (-40ºC to 85ºC)|
|Operating Humidity:||Up to 90% RH (no condensation)|
CONVERTER CONNECTOR / TERMINAL BLOCK PIN OUTS
Note: Some software requires handshake line acknowledgements. To satisfy the requirements, our converter's handshake lines are tied together (DCD, DTR, and DSR tied together, and RTS and CTS tied together). Therefore, you do not have to modify your existing software.
|DB-9 Female (view from front)|
RS485 / RS422 Side
|Jumper||J2 (default: ON)||J2 (default: ON)||J1 (default: ON)||J4 (default: ON)|
|RS485||A+ (J2 ON)||B- (J3 ON)||GND||(J1 ON)||Terminate/remove Jumper J4 to turn ON/OFF the 120Ω end-of-line terminator.|
|RS485||(J2 OFF)||J3 OFF)||GND||(J1 OFF)|
Note: The CVT-485_422-1 comes with a 6-way terminal block for easy wire connections. However, you may choose not to use the terminal block provided and simply follow the above table for pin assignments.
|DB-9 Male (view from front) / Terminal Block|
JUMPER SETTINGS AND 120 OHM END-OF-LINE TERMINATOR
1) RS485 Mode
- Turn ON Jumper 1, 2 & 3 for RS-485 mode;
- Important: Turn ON J4 (120 Ohm End-Of-Line Terminator) at both ends of the RS-485 bus when the data rate is over 19.2kbps or the distance exceeds 660 feet (200m).
2) RS422 Mode
- Turn OFF Jumper 1, 2 & 3 for RS-422 mode;
- Important: Turn ON J4 (120 Ohm End-Of-Line Terminator) at both ends of the RS-422 (or 4-wire RS-485) bus when the data rate is over 19.2kbps or the distance exceeds 660 feet (200m).
Figure 1: Master-Slave Multi-Drop Connections (RS485)
Figure 2: Master-Slave Multi-Drop Connections (RS422)
Figure 3: Extending Full-Duplex RS232 Distance (Data Only)
1) Port power measurement
Measure pin +5V and GND with a voltmeter, and be sure that it is around +5VDC (when RS232 port is connected).
2) Loopback Test
- Connect a CVT-485_422-1 to your PC's COM port and remove Jumper 1 and terminate Jumper 2 and 3 on the RS485/422 terminal block (as shown above).
- Run 232Analyzer FREE version software on your computer.
- Select "ASCII" for both the Send and Receive data formats. Then send command and/or string such as "CommFront" from the 232Analyzer software. You should receive an echo of the command/string sent ("CommFront"). By performing a simple loopback test like this, you can test both the transmitter and receiver of the converter. This is very helpful when you are in doubt about the performance of your converter.
Screenshot: Send/receive commands from 232Analyzer software.
232Analyzer is an advanced RS232 Serial Protocol Analyzer software that allows you to control, monitor and analyze serial port (RS232 / RS485 / RS422 / TTL, etc.) activities. Not just the data, it also allows you to monitor or change RS-232's line states: RTS, CTS, DTR, DSR, DCD, and RI.
The FREE version (no time limitation) can be downloaded from here.