RS232 REPEATER / RS232 BOOSTER / RS232 EXTENDER
INDUSTRIAL PORT-POWERED OPTO-ISOLATED RS232 REPEATER
Qty: 10+ $25.16
Qty: 50+ $23.76
Other Qty: Ask
The RPT-232-3 is a compact, rugged, industrial-grade, optically-isolated, port-powered RS232 Repeater / RS232 Extender (TX, RX, and GND), which works in pairs to extend the full-duplex RS-232 distance up to 1.8 miles (3 km). This product features 2500V opto-isolation circuitry, which effectively protect your RS-232 devices from ground loops, noise problems, transient surges, remote lightning and spikes. Therefore, it provides an ideal solution for extending, protecting and isolating RS232 devices that are connected together and surrounded by ground loops, transient surges, remote lightning and spikes. This industrial opto-isolated RS232 repeater operates within a temperature range of -40ºF to 185ºF (-40ºC to 85ºC), and features 600W surge protection and 15kV static protection. The unit is efficiently powered from the RS-232 data line, and it features data format auto-sensing and self-adjusting, which automatically adjust baud rate, parity, stop bit and other COM port parameters to the devices that it is connected to, therefore, it requires no external power, software drivers, or jumper settings.
CommFront's product quality is ensured by our strict ISO 9001:2008 quality control system, and we back our high-quality RS232 repeater products with a 30-day risk-free money-back guarantee and a 5-year replacement warranty.
FEATURES (INDUSTRIAL RS232 REPEATER)
- Extend full-duplex RS-232 data over long distance (300bps -> 1.8 miles or 3km; 1.2kbps -> 1.5 miles or 2.4km; 9.6kbps -> 0.75 miles or 1.2km; 28.8kbps -> 1600 feet or 500m).
- Port-powered, no external power or RTS, DTR required.
- Industrial grade enclosed in a rugged, rustless ABS housing.
- 2500V optical isolation effectively protects your RS-232 devices from ground loops, transient surges, remote lightning and spikes.
- 300 to 28.8K Baud operation (auto-sensing & self-adjusting).
- Current loop circuit provides better noise immunization.
- Plug and play (hot-pluggable, data format auto-sensing & self-adjusting).
- No drivers needed. No DIP switch or jumper settings.
- Operating temperature: -40ºF to 185ºF (-40ºC to 85ºC),
- Built-in 600W surge protection, 15kV static protection and circuit protection.
- Surface Mount Technology manufactured to RoHS and ISO-9001 standards.
- Safety: Strictly certified by TUV (Cert No. SG-CE-090012).
- 5-year manufacturer's warranty.
SPECIFICATIONS (INDUSTRIAL RS232 REPEATER)
|Compatibility:||EIA/TIA RS-232C standard|
|Power Source:||Port power from RS232 data line|
|Current Consumption:||Less than 10mA|
|Optical Isolation:||2500Vrms (AC, 1 min)|
|Baud Rates:||300 to 28,800bps (auto-sensing & self-adjusting)|
|Distance:||RS-232: 16ft (5m); Extended Distance: 1.8 miles (3km) for 300bps baud, 1.5 miles (2.4km) for 1.2kbps baud, 0.75 miles (1.2km) for 9.6kbps baud, and 1600 ft (500m) for 28.8kbps baud|
|Connector:||RS-232 Side: DB-9 Female; Terminal Block Side: DB-9 Male; Termination Board: DB-9 Female and a 4-Way Terminal Block|
|Static protection (ESD):||Up to 15KV|
|Dimensions (H x W x D):||0.63 x 1.3 x 3.4 in (16 x 32 x 86 mm) (with termination board)|
|Weight:||0.83 oz (23.5 g)|
|Operating Temperature:||-40ºF to 185ºF (-40ºC to 85ºC)|
|Operating Humidity:||Up to 90% RH (no condensation)|
RS232 REPEATER CONNECTOR / TERMINAL BLOCK PIN OUTS
|DB-9 Female Pin||1||4||6||7||8||2||3||5|
Note: Some software requires handshake line acknowledgements. To satisfy the requirements, our converter's handshake lines are tied together (DCD, DTR, and DSR tied together, and RTS and CTS tied together). Therefore, you don't have to modify your existing software.
|DB-9 Female (view from front)|
Terminal Block Side
|DB-9 Male Pin||1||2||3||4|
|Function||Transmit Data||Receive Data|
Note: The RPT-232-3 comes with a 4-way terminal block for easy wire connections. However, you may choose not to use the terminal block provided and simply follow the above table for pin assignments.
|DB-9 Male (view from front) / Terminal Block|
RS232 REPEATER CONNECTIONS
Figure 1: RPT-232-3 Connection Diagram
- Connect an RPT-232-3 to your PC's COM port and short TX and RX (TX+ to RX+, TX- to RX-) on the terminal block (as shown above).
- Run 232Analyzer FREE version software on your computer.
- Select "ASCII" for both the Send and Receive data formats. Then send command and/or string such as "CommFront" from the 232Analyzer software. You should receive an echo of the command/string sent ("CommFront"). By performing a simple loopback test like this, you can test both the transmitter and receiver of the repeater. This is very helpful when you are in doubt about the performance of your repeater.
Screenshot: Send/receive commands from 232Analyzer software.
232Analyzer is an advanced RS232 Serial Protocol Analyzer software that allows you to control, monitor and analyze serial port (RS232 / RS485 / RS422 / TTL, etc.) activities. Not just the data, it also allows you to monitor or change RS-232's line states: RTS, CTS, DTR, DSR, DCD, and RI.
The FREE version (no time limitation) can be downloaded from here.