3-WIRE RS232 ISOLATOR / RS232 OPTO ISOLATORS
INDUSTRIAL PORT-POWERED RS232 ISOLATOR (3-WIRE)
Qty: 10+ $32.36
Qty: 50+ $30.56
Other Qty: Ask
The CVT-232A-3 is a compact, rugged, industrial-grade, port-powered, 3-wire RS232 Isolator. The unit features 5000V opto-isolation circuitry and optically isolates three (3) RS-232 lines (TX, RX and GND), which effectively protects your RS-232 devices from ground loops, noise problems, transient surges, remote lightning and spikes. This industrial 3-wire RS232 isolator operates within a temperature range of -40ºF to 185ºF (-40ºC to 85ºC), and features 600W surge protection and 15kV ESD static protection. The unit is efficiently powered from the RS232 data line, and it comes with the auto-sensing and self-adjusting features, which automatically adjust baud rate, parity, stop bit and other COM port parameters to the devices that it is connected to. Therefore, it requires no external power, manual settings or software drivers, making the unit a highly reliable and truly plug-and-play device. CommFront's product quality is ensured by our strict ISO 9001:2008 quality control system, and we back our high-quality RS232 isolator products with a 30-day risk-free money-back guarantee and a 5-year replacement warranty.
Note: We also provide custom-made RS232 isolators (e.g. male connector with screws and female connector with nuts) upon request, minimum quantity of order: 10 units.
FEATURES (3-WIRE RS232 ISOLATOR)
- 5000V optical isolation effectively protects your RS-232 devices from ground loops, noise problems, transient surges, remote lightning and spikes.
- Port-powered, no external power or RTS, DTR required.
- Industrial grade enclosed in a rugged, rustless ABS housing.
- 300 to 38.4K Baud operation (auto-sensing & self-adjusting).
- Operating temperature: -40ºF to 185ºF (-40ºC to 85ºC).
- Plug and play (hot-pluggable, data format auto-sensing & self-adjusting).
- No software drivers, DIP switch or jumper settings required.
- Built-in 600W surge protection, 15kV static protection and circuit protection.
- Surface Mount Technology manufactured to RoHS and ISO-9001 standards.
- Safety: Strictly certified by TUV (Cert No. SG-CE-090012).
- 5-year manufacturer's warranty.
SPECIFICATIONS (3-WIRE RS232 ISOLATOR)
|Compatibility:||EIA/TIA RS-232C standard|
|Power Source:||Port power from RS232 data line|
|Current Consumption:||Less than 10mA|
|Optical Isolation:||5000Vrms (AC, 1 min)|
|Baud Rates:||300 to 38,400bps (auto-sensing & self-adjusting)|
|Distance:||RS-232: 16ft (5m)|
|Connector:||DB-9 Female Connector and DB-9 Male Connector|
|Static protection (ESD):||Up to 15KV|
|Dimensions (H x W x D):||0.63 x 1.3 x 2.5 in (16 x 32 x 63 mm)|
|Weight:||0.83 oz (23.5 g)|
|Operating Temperature:||-40ºF to 185ºF (-40ºC to 85ºC)|
|Operating Humidity:||Up to 90% RH (no condensation)|
RS232 ISOLATOR CONNECTOR PIN OUTS
Female RS232 Side
Note: Some software requires handshake line acknowledgements. To satisfy the requirements, our converter's handshake lines are tied together (DCD, DTR, and DSR tied together, and RTS and CTS tied together). Therefore, you don't have to modify your existing software.
|DB-9 Female (view from front)|
Male RS232 Side
Note: Some software require handshake line acknowledgements, to satisfy the requirements, this 3-wire RS232 Isolator's handshake lines are tied together (DCD, DTR, DSR tied together, and RTS, CTS tied together), therefore, you don't have to modify your existing software.
|DB-9 Male (view from front)|
FIGURE 1: CVT-232A-3 CONNECTION DIAGRAM (DTE TO DTE)
FIGURE 2: CVT-232A-3 CONNECTION DIAGRAM (DTE TO DTE)
- Connect the female connector end of the isolator to your PC’s COM port and connect the other end (male connector) to another of your PC’s COM ports with a null-modem converter (or connect pin 2 to 3, pin 3 to 2, and pin 5 to 5 between the male connector and your PC's RS232 connector) (as shown above).
- Run two instances of the 232Analyzer FREE version software on your computer.
- Select "ASCII" for both the Send and Receive data formats. Then send command and/or string such as "CommFront" from one COM port. You should receive an echo of the command/string sent ("CommFront") on the other COM port. By performing a simple loopback test like this, you can test both the transmitter and receiver of the isolator. This is very helpful when you are in doubt about the performance of your isolator.
Screenshot 1: Send commands from 1st instance of the 232Analyzer software
Screenshot 2: Receive commands from 2nd instance of the 232Analyzer software
232Analyzer is an advanced RS232 Serial Protocol Analyzer software that allows you to control, monitor and analyze serial port (RS232 / RS485 / RS422 / TTL, etc.) activities. Not just the data, it also allows you to monitor or change RS-232's line states: RTS, CTS, DTR, DSR, DCD, and RI.
The FREE version (no time limitation) can be downloaded from here.